Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bracket Busting

The NCAA Tournament is here and I am pumped as usual. I get March Madness mood swings that only T.O. can relate to and right now I am in the pumped stage.


Pre-tournament, after the bracket release, it is all euphoria. Unless you are St. Mary's, but I am going to forget about that right now. My bracket changes daily. I can't make up my mind, agonizing over the Utah/Arizona game like it is really going to make the difference between the ecstasy of victory and the agony of defeat. But we all know that our brackets will be busted on day one when my "Lock of the Century" Wake Forest goes down to Cleveland State.


Just look at that logo! The viking is hiding and waiting for the perfect moment to pillage my bracket. I can feel it coming....

And this brings in the second stage of March Madness moodiness, bracket armegeddon. It happens almost every year to me. I CAN'T STAND IT! My elite eight turns into the elight three and five red strikes. But it is a blessing in disguise. As my bracket disintegrates I can stop worrying about losing to my younger brother in our bracket challenge and start enjoying all of the upsets and buzzer beating, half court miracles.

Which leads into my third stage of March Madness, the final four. When the final four arives I am usually a little disappointed that it has all come to an end. The first weekend is much more fun that the final four. Trying to watch four tight games all at once is almost impossible and yet a challenge that I take on every year without hesitation. It is the remote control olympics. Don't even try to beat me in the most channel changes in under 10 seconds.


But back to the final four. Once the tournament gets to that point our bracket challenge is usually decided, my favorite team is never still around, and the games usually aren't all that great (except for the greatest final ever last year, yes, EVER!).

In the end, the NCAA Tournament gives us the greatest four days of competition in American sports. I will not be leaving the couch these next four days and if you have to work I know that you will be watching online. And if you have a good relationship with your boss, take them out to a long lunch at a good sports bar. I will be watching and I know you will too.

p.s. Did you see David Wright's hit last night? USA! USA! USA!



Let me know what you think.....

~JG

No comments:

Post a Comment